Tools and Materials
Design of your choosing
Double-Tack double-sided adhesive sheet
Wooden jewelry box
Monarch Patent (paper-backed) gold leaf
Jewelry Box How-To
1. Choose a design for the box. You can print a large letter in a decorative font for a monogram, or pick any shape or silhouette you can find. Tape the printed image onto the Double-Tack.
2. Cut out the design with a craft knife. With a craft punch, you can also punch out small decorative shapes from the Double-Tack.
3. Position the cut out shapes on the jewelry box, rearranging them until you are happy with the design. Peel off one side of the paper backing on each shape and adhere to jewelry box. Burnish the top of each shape with a bone folder to flatten and secure.
4. From one shape, peel off the second paper backing. Apply gold leaf and burnish with a bone folder. Brush away excess gold leaf with a soft bristle brush. Repeat for the remaining shapes.
5. Coat the entire design with poly-acrylic sealant to prevent scratch marks.
Monarch Patent (paper-backed) gold leaf and Double-Tack are available from Mister Art. Wooden jewelry box is from The Container Store. Tools are available from Martha Stewart Crafts; use our store locator to find a retailer near you. All other supplies can be found at most crafts or art-supply stores.