'Tis the season for sharing, and what better way to spread holiday cheer than by giving a handmade gift to those you care about? These felt punched stockings are a simple and thoughtful gift and a great way to let St. Nicholas know that you've hung your stockings by the chimney with care.
Tools and Materials
Red and white felt
Disappearing fabric pen
Needle and tread
Red Front of Stocking How-To
1. Download and print out each template: Stocking Template, Boot Template, Stripes Template, Alphabet Template, Snowflakes Template. Enlarge stocking template 250 percent and print.
2. Place template for front of stocking on red felt.
3. Trace around template with disappearing fabric pen and cut.
4. Cut out dot shapes and letters from template.
5. Arrange and pin to front of stocking.
6. Using the dots as a guide, punch holes with screw punch through both paper and felt.
7. Remove pinned paper from front of stocking.
White Inside and Back of Stocking How-To
8. Place template for inside of stocking on two pieces of white felt.
9. Trace template and mark where cuff ends and stocking begins.
10. Cut about 1 inch around line.
11. Lay the front of stocking on top of two pieces of white felt.
12. Line up the front with the inside of stocking.
13. Line up top of front of stocking with line marked for cuff; pin in place.
14. Sew a seam with a 1/8-inch seam allowance around the entire stocking, including cuff, leaving the top open.
15. Backstitch at both ends.
16. Cut excess white felt from stocking.
17. Trim excess seam allowance from cuff. Fold cuff over.
18. Sew embellishments on.
The screw punch can be found at Martha Stewart Crafts. The felt used on today's show can be found at aetnafelt.com.