Materials and Tools
Galvanized tray (8 inches square)
Aluminum pipe (3/8-inch diameter)
Sandpaper (fine grit)
Napkin Holder How-To
1. Use a saw to cut an aluminum pipe 1/4-inch shorter than the width of a galvanized tray.
2. Smooth the edges of the pipe with sandpaper.
3. To paint the tray, place the tray and pipe inside a cardboard box.
4. Wearing a mask over your mouth and nose to prevent inhaling of paint particles, coat the tray and pipe with spray paint. Let dry overnight.
5. Measure an elastic cord by wrapping it around the tray; cut the cord 2 inches shorter than the perimeter.
6. Slip the elastic cord through the pipe, and tie ends together. Conceal the knot inside the pipe.
7. Fill tray with napkins and fit the holder around the tray.
8. If desired, affix EZ-Glides on bottom corners of the tray to prevent it from scratching surfaces.
Galvanized trays are available at most garden-supply stores. All other materials are available at most hardware and crafts stores. This craft was featured in Martha Stewart Living, June 2006.