Tools and Materials
Double-sided crepe paper
Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
Piece of Styrofoam
Krylon clear matte finish spray
Small scrap of green felt
Barrette or pin backing
Flower Barrette/Brooch How-To
1. Cut three 6 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch rectangles from double-sided crepe paper.
2. Print template. Cut out the rectangle containing the petal shapes and stack on top of the three crepe-paper rectangles. Staple in place.
3. Cut out petals. You will end up with 3 teardrop-shaped petals and 9 heart-shaped petals.
4. To shape petals, cup in center; wrap left and right top edges around a toothpick to curl.
5. Build the flower by first placing teardrop petals, then heart petals around each other, holding the bottoms.
6. Fasten petals by wrapping wire around the base. Wrap the wire around a bamboo skewer; secure with hot glue.
7. Mix Smooth-Cast 327 according to manufacturer's directions. Dip the flower into the mix and shake off excess. Insert bamboo skewer into Styrofoam while the flower hardens. Repeat for a second coat.
8. Use pruners to snip off skewer "stem."
9. Spray both sides of the flower with Krylon clear matte finish spray. Allow to dry.
10. Cut leaf shape from template and trace onto green felt. Cut leaf shape from green felt. Secure a pin or barrette to the back of the flower and cover by gluing the green felt leaf over it with hot glue.
For more information on Morgan Levine, editorial assistant in the holiday and crafts department of Martha Stewart Living, or to purchase one of her flower barrettes, visit amblethroughbramble.com. Double-sided crepe paper is available at castleintheair.biz and at selected Michaels stores. For store locations, please visit michaels.com. Glue and floral tape are from Martha Stewart Crafts. All other tools and materials are available at crafts stores and art-supply stores. Smooth-Cast 327 is available from smooth-on.com. All other tools and materials are available at crafts stores and art-supply stores.
For more great ideas, check out these floral-inspired crafts. Also make the Crepe-Paper Roses to add color and flare to your home or office.