These shrunken heads, made from peeled, carved, and dried apples, are as spooky as the scariest Halloween masks -- and just as much fun to create. Martha transforms a Granny Smith apple into a truly frightening fruit; although any variety of apple will work, Granny Smiths are ideal for this project because of their round shape.
Tools and Materials
Firm, unbruised apple, preferably Granny Smith
Marker or pencil
1 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon salt
Stick or branch
Shrunken Apple Head How-To 1. Peel and core the apple.
2. Using a pencil or marker, draw facial features, including eyes, a nose, and a mouth, on the apple; be sure to draw the features large enough so they won't vanish when the apple shrinks.
3. Using the outlines as your guide, carve the apple to resemble a skull.
4. Combine lemon juice and salt in bowl. Soak the apple for 30 seconds. Pat dry.
5. Set the apple in a warm, dry spot; after several days, the apple will shrink, and the features will distort.
6. Insert a stick or branch into the bottom of the head and place it in a vase.