Pickled Beets and Onion
Use these sweet-and-sour pickles to make our Potato-and-Pickled-Beet Salad. They also make a delectable snack straight out of the fridge.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Photography: Ryan Liebe
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2017
- 4 golden beets (about 12 ounces total), scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap beets in parchment-lined foil and bake until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Using a paper towel, rub off skins. Cut beets into 1-inch wedges.
Combine vinegar, 1/4 cup water, sugar, celery seed, peppercorns, coriander, turmeric, and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onion; return to a simmer, then transfer to a clean jar and let cool to room temperature. Seal and refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 2 months.