Rice-and-Bean Salad Bowl with Tahini Sauce
Look for beans in BPA-free cans -- or cook your own!
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2017
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 head red cabbage, cut into thin slices
- 2 avocados, cut into wedges
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (from a 12-ounce jar), coarsely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, cut into rounds
- 2 cups upland cress or watercress, tough stems removed
Tahini Sauce: Combine tahini, lemon juice, and 2 to 3 tablespoons water (enough to create consistency of honey) until smooth; season with salt. Finely grate garlic on a Microplane; stir into sauce. Adjust seasoning as desired. Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Salad: In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, both beans, parsley, onion, celery, lemon juice, and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bean salad can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
For each serving, place 3/4 cup cooked rice and 3/4 cup bean salad in a bowl; add some cabbage, avocados, roasted pepper, cucumber, and cress. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with more oil, and squeeze a lemon wedge over it. Drizzle with tahini sauce; serve.