Cheddar-and-Scallion Savory Pancakes
Keep the cooked pancakes warm on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet in a 200-degree oven while making the rest.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Armando Rafael
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2017
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil, plus more for skillet
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar (2 1/2 ounces)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup), plus more for serving
- Crisp-cooked bacon and Greek yogurt, for serving
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and oil; whisk until just moistened. (Do not overmix; a few small lumps are fine.) Fold in cheese and scallions.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Drizzle skillet with oil; rub with a paper towel to evenly coat. Cooking in batches, ladle 1/4 cup batter per pancake into skillet, spreading in an even circle. Cook until edges begin to set and undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip; cook until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes more. Top with more scallions, bacon, yogurt, and pepper; serve.