Ceramist and gardener Frances Palmer is also an avid cook and baker who plants in her garden what she wants to eat and serve to her family and friends. Here is one of her garden-to-table recipes.
Photography: Peden + Munk
- 6 hanger steaks (about 3/4 pound each)
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Extra-virgin olive oil and kosher salt, for serving
Combine the marinade ingredients in a short-sided glass baking dish. Add the hanger steaks. Leave the meat in the marinade at room temperature for two hours, turning from time to time.
Grill the steaks on an outdoor grill with a good quantity of mesquite charcoal. The meat cooks quickly, about five minutes per side, on a white-hot bed of coals.
When the steaks are finished, place on a serving platter and let them rest about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with olive oil and kosher salt. Slice to serve.