Try these shortcuts for luminous skin and pretty waves, and top it all off with a sparkling scent.
For skin that looks lit from within, reach for a highlighter. These iridescent creams, liquids, and powders reflect light and bathe your face in a soft- focus glow. The trick? Apply a few sweeps in the right tone (gold for warm skin, champagne if you’re paler) to these strategic spots.
Where to Apply
1. Center of the forehead.
2. Under the brow bones.
3. Down the bridge of the nose.
4. Top of the cheekbones.
5. In the Cupid’s bow.
[TRY THESE: Foundations for a Flawless Finish Every Time]
Products We Love
1. Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat, $42, yslbeautyus.com.
2. Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Bold Illuminating liquid highlighter, in Golden Kiss, $25, elizabetharden.com.
3. Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminizing Wand, $28, josiemaran.com.
4. Lancôme Glow Subtil Silky Crème highlighter, in Rosegold Lights, $30, sephora.com.
5. Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator, in Gilded Honey,
6. Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Strobing Stick, $10, maybelline.com.
7. Bobbi Brown Illuminate Retouching face
pencil, $32, bobbibrowncosmetics.com.
8. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, in Topaz, $41, sephora.com
Types of Higlighters
It’s ideal for dry skin. Apply it in key areas, or add a drop to your moisturizer or primer for allover dewiness.
This texture works best on top of other smooth-textured makeup, such as full-coverage cream foundation.
It stays put beautifully on oily skin.
[MUST READ: The 5 Basic Makeup Brushes You Need]
They may look and feel waxy in the jar, but fear not: These new formulations are just what dry skin needs when temperatures plunge. Rubbed between your hands, they melt into a sumptuous oil; when applied, they feel soothing and decadent. The result is supple, crazy-soft skin.
Dissolve all traces of color (even around the eyes) and nourish skin with IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Makeup 3-in-1 Makeup Melting Cleansing Balm. $38, itcosmetics.com.
Part skin care, part make-up prep, Armani Prima Glow-On Moisturizing Balm keeps foundation looking freshly applied all day. $110, giorgioarmanibeauty.com.
Organic shea butter and oils in Captain Blankenship’s Avocado & Peppermint Hand, Cuticle, and Foot Balm transform chapped hands and cracked heels. $24, captainblankenship.com.
We’re currently enchanted by Givenchy’s Dahlia Divin Poudre D’or. Squeeze the old- school perfume atomizer and out comes a delicate puff of gold shimmer, scented with the woody-floral scent. Dust it over neck, limbs, and décolletage. $65, givenchy.com.
These are not your mother’s hair-scorching curlers. T3’s Volumizing Hot Rollers Luxe set features two sizes and temperature settings, so you can minimize damage and maximize body. Another detail we love: The cool-to-the-touch grips keep your fingers singe-free. $119, t3micro.com.