Popsicle stick ornaments are fun, family-friendly holiday crafts that are easy to make with just a few steps. Snowflakes are the perfect thing to make since there's no cutting involved. In our version, we opted to use two different precut sizes. Ultimately, it's all about how you dress and arrange the sticks that makes these ornaments pop. You won't need much space to assemble the snowflakes, but make sure that you do have adequate space to lay out the sticks to dry completely after painting in Steps 1 and 2 below.
Since it's true that no two snowflakes are alike, don't be afraid to let your kids get creative in the design process! The paints and acrylic jewels are what make our snowflakes sparkle, but can you offer an array of colors and embellishments to add variety to yours. In the end, you'll have stunning Popsicle stick ornaments that each tell a different story about the person who made it. Isn't that really what creating family memories is all about?
This project calls for a glue gun -- be sure that an adult is present at all times when using one with young children. Since the snowflakes have multiple layers, let them dry completely before hanging; overnight is recommended.
- 6 standard-size wood craft (Popsicle) sticks
- 3 mini wood craft (Popsicle) sticks
- 1 flat craft paintbrush
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Metallic Acrylic Craft Paint in Pure Platinum
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Glitter Acrylic Craft Paint in Antique Silver
- assorted acrylic jewels (4.5 mm)
- glue gun
- ribbon to hang finished ornament
- Use the brush to paint the top and sides of each stick with the metallic paint. When finished, rinse the brush and pat dry. Lay the sticks flat and let dry completely.
- Paint a layer of the glitter paint on the top and sides of each stick. Lay flat and let dry completely. Repeat if necessary to get desired effect. We used two coats in the example.
- Use the glue gun to adhere jewels to the ends of each stick. Place one additional jewel in the center of one of the smaller sticks (this stick will go on top).
- Make the bottom layer using two sticks that form a "T" shape. Use the glue gun to connect sticks at the point of intersection. Press and hold until the glue is set.
- Repeat using two sticks in each layer that form a crisscross shape. Vary the width of the angles in each layer so that they fill in the empty spaces.
- Glue each layer to the one below it until you have a total of four layers.
- Loop the ribbon between the layers and tie at the top to hang your new Popsicle stick ornament.
Wooden craft sticks are often sold in large packs, so if you find yourself with lots of extras, try one of these other fun crafts made with Popsicle sticks!