Braised Green Beans with Tomatoes
A healthy, one-skillet vegetable side. Make it vegan by using vegetable broth.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Aya Brackett
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2016
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise on the bias
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large straight-sided skillet or a wide, shallow pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, and oregano, stirring to combine; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper; serve.