You know what comes out when there's a full moon, don't you? Yup: incredibly frightening (read: delicious and chocolaty) "werewolf paws." If you use store-bought frosting and madeleines, you can whip these up in just 30 minutes.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 32
Photography: Aaron Dyer
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2016
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pound best-quality semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Vanilla Madeleines
- 1/3 cup toasted almond slivers (5 per paw)
Make the frosting: Combine cocoa and the boiling water, stirring until cocoa has dissolved. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners? sugar, and salt until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add melted and cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in the cocoa mixture. If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 5 days, or frozen up to 1 month, in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth again.
Use a butter knife to spread 2 tablespoons of chocolate frosting over a madeleine cookie, leaving it a bit thicker at the back. Drag the knife forward and pull up at the end to create a "furry" texture, then press 5 toasted almond slivers ("claws") into the tip.