Martha's Sour Cherry Pie
Martha made this recipe on episode 703 of Martha Bakes. The pie can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Yield: Makes one 9-inch pie
Photography: Yossy Arefi
For the filling
- 2 pounds fresh sour cherries (tart) cherries (or 3 pounds drained and thawed frozen cherries), pitted (6 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the crust
- Pate Brisee
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons heavy cream, for egg wash
Make the filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss together the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla in a bowl.
Make the crust: Roll out 1 disk pate brisee to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Pour in filling; dot with butter. Refrigerate while making top crust.
Roll remaining disk pate brisee to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 4 to 5 holes using a 3/4-inch round cookie cutter or pastry tip. Place on top of pie.
Trim bottom and top crusts to a 1-inch overhang using kitchen shears and press together to seal around edges. Fold edges under; crimp as desired. Freeze for 20 minutes.
Brush crust with egg wash. Bake pie on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet set on the middle rack, until pie is bubbling in center and crust is golden, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool before serving.