This espresso- and spice-scented cake has the dense, moist texture of a gingerbread.
- Total Time:
Photography: Lennart Weibull
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2016
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin-Pie Spice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment; butter parchment. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, instant espresso powder, pumpkin-pie spice, and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs into pumpkin puree, then whisk in butter, sugars, and milk. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack and let cool completely, about 2 hours.
Whisk cream with confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form; dollop on top of cake and dust with espresso powder. Serve immediately.