Zucchini, Gruyere, and Black Pepper Muffins
Gruyere adds a rich nuttiness to these savory muffins.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes one dozen
Photography: Lennart Weibull
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2016
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing (optional)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (from 1 small zucchini)
- 1 cup finely shredded Gruyere (3 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups, or lightly brush with butter. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, whisk together butter, milk and eggs. Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Fold in zucchini and 2/3 cup cheese.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Bake until golden and tops spring back when lightly touched, about 18 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in tin, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.