Vegan Blueberry Muffins
Coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature, adds a mild sweetness; vegetable oil can also be used.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes one dozen
Photography: Lennart Weibull
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2016
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted, plus more for brushing (optional)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 bananas, mashed (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups, or lightly brush with oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, bananas, coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar. Bake until light golden and tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in tin, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.