Indian-Spiced Cashew-Lime Cookies
Brightly colored spice mixes and candy-coated seeds are offered after dinner in many Indian restaurants. We used a mix called red mukhwas to garnish our cube-shaped spice cookies. Look for mukhwas and similar blends at Indian markets. Colored sprinkles and nonpareils can be substituted.
- Yield: Makes 4 dozen
Source: Holiday Cookies 2010
- 1⁄2 cup raw unsalted cashews, toasted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Indian colored spice blend such as red mukhwas (or colored sprinkles and nonpareils), for garnish
For Lime Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse cashews with 1/2 cup flour until nuts are very finely ground. In a bowl, whisk to combine cashew mixture with remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, salt, zest, cardamom, and cayenne pepper.
In a separate bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add lime juice and egg, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture and beat just until combined.
Divide dough into quarters, and shape into 3/4-inch square logs. Chill 30 minutes. (Dough may be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months; bring to room temperature before proceeding.) Slice logs to form 3/4-inch cubes. Press top of each cube gently to round corners; place cubes on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden on edges and bottoms, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cookies cool completely on wire racks.
Brush the top of each cookie with glaze. Sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon spice blend on top of each cookie. Let set 30 minutes. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
In a small bowl, whisk to combine confectioners' sugar and lime juice until smooth. Use immediately.