Roast Beef Sandwiches
Roasting your own beef helps make this sandwich staple extra-special.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2006
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds beef eye of round
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 firm, ripe avocados
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Lettuce and radicchio, for serving
- 12 slices rustic bread (1/2 inch thick each)
- Horseradish Cream for Roast Beef Sandwiches
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until warm. Add oil and butter; heat until oil is hot and butter has melted.
Season beef with salt and pepper; place in skillet. Cook until beef is well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
Transfer skillet to oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 130 degrees for medium-rare, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer beef to a cutting board; let rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
Slice beef very thinly crosswise. Peel and pit avocados; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange tomatoes, lettuce, radicchio, avocados, and beef over half the bread. Spread horseradish cream onto each remaining bread slice, and place on top of sandwich, spread side down.