Blue Cheese, Potato, and Green-Apple Danish Sandwiches
When assembling the sandwiches, coat each piece of bread with a slathering of sweet butter.
- Yield: Makes 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2007
- 1 pound small Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- Coarse salt
- 8 slices thin, dense rye bread, crusts removed
- 8 teaspoons unsalted butter, preferably Danish, softened
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 green apple, quartered, cored, and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Pickled Onion Slices, made with white onion
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. Let cool.
Spread bread slices with butter; sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons cheese. Divide potatoes among bread. Top each with apple slices, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese. Top with onion slices, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with salt, and drizzle each with 1 teaspoon pickling liquid.