Charoset, a mixture of apples, nuts, and spices, signifies the bricks and mortar that the Israelites used to build the pharaohs pyramids, as well as the sweetness of freedom.
- Yield: Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup kosher sweet red wine
Chop apples in a food processor. Stir with remaining ingredients in a bowl.