Open-Faced Tomato and Cheddar Grilled Cheese
Open-face sandwiches make an easy lunch for a crowd.
- Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Photography: Sang An
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- 4 small tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
Preheat broiler. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper. Broil until tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes.
Melt butter with remaining tablespoon oil. Brush over cut sides of bread. Broil until top edges are just golden.
Arrange tomatoes over bread, slightly overlapping. Top with cheese. Place on baking sheet; broil until cheese has melted and is bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes.