Open-Faced Eggplant and Gorgonzola Grilled Cheese
Open-face sandwiches make an easy lunch for a crowd.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Sang An
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- 4 small eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 6 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place eggplants in a colander set over a bowl; toss with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse well, and let drain. Press to remove excess liquid.
Arrange eggplants in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil; season with pepper. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat broiler. Melt butter with remaining tablespoon oil. Brush over cut sides of bread. Broil until top edges are just golden. Arrange eggplant in a single layer over bread. Top with cheese. Place on baking sheet; broil until cheese has melted and is bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes.