Orecchiette with Green Tomatoes, Caramelized Onions, and Corn
Sauteing green tomatoes takes the edge off their tanginess, but they're still tart enough to cut the sweetness of caramelized Vidalia onions and fresh corn.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2003
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 pounds green tomatoes (about 6 medium), coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound orecchiette or other short, dried pasta, cooked according to package instructions
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onion, and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, and sprinkle sugar over mixture. Cook, stirring, until tomatoes are tender and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Add corn to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until corn is tender and just starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in thyme.
Add the vegetable mixture to the cooked pasta, and stir until combined. Serve immediately.