Creamy Tomato Soup
Serve a bowl of tomato soup with one of our Baked Cheese Croutons.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2003
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup gin or dry white wine
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 3 sprigs oregano or marjoram
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Baked Cheese Croutons (recipe follows)
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add the gin, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, stock, and oregano, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer gently until thickened, about 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the herbs. Purée in small batches, if desired, for a smooth consistency.
Slowly pour in the half-and-half, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with cheese-topped croutons on the side.