Cherry Spoon Sweets
Thick yogurt is served with these spoon sweets. The Greeks make these stewed desserts out of anything tasty and in season -- figs, quince, even walnuts.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet fresh cherries, pitted, or 20 ounces frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Ice cream or Greek yogurt, for serving
In a medium saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, vanilla bean, and 2 tablespoons water. Simmer cherries, stirring frequently until they are very soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cherries to a heatproof jar; set aside.
Return juice to a high simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 3/4 cup, 9 to 11 minutes.
Remove vanilla bean; stir in lemon juice. Pour syrup over cherries. Let cool completely, uncovered at room temperature, about 45 minutes. Cover with a lid; refrigerate until cold, about 35 minutes. Serve with ice cream. Will keep in refrigerator, covered, up to 2 weeks.