This Greek sauce is traditionally made with pureed potatoes; our lighter version leaves them out.
- Yield: Makes 1 cup
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 2 1/2 ounces (1/2 cup) blanched almonds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 slice hearty white bread, crust removed, bread torn into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a food processor, pulse almonds, garlic, and bread until the almonds are finely ground. With machine running, pour in oil, then lemon juice and 6 tablespoons water. Season with salt and pepper.