Sesame Marinated Tofu with Vegetables
You can substitute Chinese broccoli with broccolini or dark, leafy greens such as kale, turnip, or mustard greens in this vegetarian-friendly dish.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2002
FOR THE TOFU
- 16 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 to 4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium tamari soy sauce
FOR THE STIR-FRIED VEGETABLES
- 3 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces), stems removed, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 12 ounces Chinese broccoli (2 small bunches), cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Press tofu: Slice tofu into 1-inch slabs, and place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with cheesecloth or paper towels. Cover with another layer of cheesecloth or paper towels, and place another baking sheet or plate on top. Weight evenly with canned goods or other heavy items. Let stand about 30 minutes. Drain off liquid, and pat tofu dry with paper towels.
In a large shallow dish, combine mustard, sesame seeds, garlic, and soy sauce. Place tofu in dish, and turn once to coat evenly with marinade. Let marinate at least 20 minutes at room temperature while preparing ingredients for stir-fry.
Heat a 12-inch nonstick saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat, and add 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil to pan, swirling pan to coat. Add tofu; cook until lightly browned on each side, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer tofu to a platter; cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
In same pan or wok, heat remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, red pepper, Chinese broccoli, and scallions; cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender and bright, about 7 minutes. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, and stir to combine. Season with pepper, and serve immediately spooned over the tofu.