Farm-Stand Raw Vegetable Salad
Chioggia beets are pink on the outside and striped on the inside. Because they are not cooked in this recipe, choose tender baby beets. You can use red or golden beets if Chioggia beets are unavailable. After your grill becomes hot, grill the lemon halves, cut side down, until lightly charred. Remove, let cool slightly, and squeeze their warm juice over the vegetables.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 6 ounces sugar-snap peas, sliced diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, sliced
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off cobs
- 12 baby Chioggia beets, scrubbed and halved lengthwise
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, combine the peas, cucumbers, corn, and beets. Squeeze lemon juice over vegetables, and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, and serve at room temperature.