Scapes are garlic shoots often found at farmers' markets in midsummer. Thin young scallions can be used if scapes are unavailable. If you prefer, you can toast the rolls under the broiler.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 4 French-bread rolls (about 4 inches long), halved horizontally
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 garlic scapes, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh chives
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat grill to medium-high. Place rolls, cut sides down, on the grill; toast until golden brown. Spread with butter. Scatter the scapes and chives on top of each, and season with salt and pepper.