These simple canapes are designed for tomatoes at the peak of their season; select the ripest ones you can find. A combination of red, yellow, and orange tomatoes makes for a colorful presentation.
- Servings: 10
- Yield: Makes 20
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2002
- 1 loaf French bread, such as ficelle or demi-baguette, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted fresh garden and cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, plus small sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
Heat a grill or grill pan or preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread on grill or on a baking sheet in the oven; toast until golden on both sides, turning once. Transfer to a serving platter, and lightly brush one side of each slice with oil.
Roughly chop or slice tomatoes, and place in a large bowl. Add the salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Add basil and chervil, and drizzle with the oil and vinegar. Gently toss again. To serve, spoon tomato mixture over bread, and garnish with basil sprigs.