Crunchy Jicama, Apple, and Carrot Slaw with Creamy Orange Dressing
This special slaw adds unexpected crunch and bright citrus flavor to barbecue dishes.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 jicama (about 1 pound), peeled
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 head small green cabbage, finely shredded
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, orange juice, vinegar, and basil; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
Slice the apples, jicama, and carrots on the thinnest setting of a mandoline or with a sharp knife, then cut slices into julienne, about 2 inches long.
In a large bowl, toss julienned apples, jicama, carrots, and cabbage with the mayonnaise mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.