Pickled Cucumber and Cherry Relish
Serve these sweet and tart pickles with Five-Spice Pork Tenderloin. We like the relish best the day it is made, but it will keep for up to two days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- 2 cups white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick on the bias
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
Place vinegar, the water, sugar, salt, juniper berries, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
Place cucumbers, cherries, and shallots in a large bowl or storage container. Add pickling liquid, and let sit about 30 minutes at room temperature. Remove bay leaves, and serve.