Shaved Cucumber, Fennel, and Watermelon Salad
Ricotta salata is a firmer version of fresh ricotta that is perfect for shaving over summer sides like this sweet-and-savory watermelon, fennel, and cucumber salad.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- 4 cucumbers
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, plus
- 1 tablespoon chopped fronds
- 3 1/2 pounds watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces ricotta salata
Using a mandoline, slice cucumbers lengthwise into paper-thin slices; slice fennel bulb crosswise into paper-thin slices. Combine cucumbers and fennel in a large serving bowl. Add watermelon, fennel fronds, lemon juice, and oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Using a vegetable peeler, shave ricotta salata over salad, and serve.