The fresh taste and refreshing crunch of cucumber makes this a perfect addition to any grilled fish dish.
- Yield: Makes about 1 quart
Photography: Victoria Pearson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light-green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 poblano chiles or green bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; toast, stirring, until they are lightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl; let cool.
Peel and seed the cucumbers, and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a large bowl, and add celery, scallions, poblano chiles, cilantro, lemon juice, and toasted cumin seeds. Season with salt, and serve immediately.