Fennel Crab Salad on Beefsteak Tomatoes
Orange tomato slices are topped with lump crabmeat and sweet organic baby fennel.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
- 1 1/2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes (about 2), preferably orange or yellow
- 10 ounces baby fennel bulbs (about 3 or 4)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 5 ounces purslane or watercress
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices; set aside. Remove the outer peel from the fennel if necessary. Using a mandoline, thinly shave the fennel, and toss with lemon juice; set aside. Remove any shells from crabmeat, and set aside. Arrange the purslane on a serving dish, and top with tomatoes, shaved fennel, and crabmeat. Lightly drizzle each tomato with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper; serve immediately.