Garden Tomato Salad
You may use any combination of tomatoes to make this salad; cut cherry tomatoes in half. Snip basil with sharp kitchen scissors rather than cutting it with a knife to prevent bruising.
- Servings: 25
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2002
- 11 pounds (about 33) ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, washed well
Combine tomatoes and onions in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour to allow flavors to develop. Snip basil, and toss into salad just before serving.