This simple soup is delicious made the night before and reheated the next day.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Reed Davis
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2000
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 package Goya 16-bean soup mix, soaked according to package directions
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 fourteen-ounce cans chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Heat olive oil in a medium pot set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot, and saute, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the beans, bay leaf, thyme, chicken stock, and 1 cup water, and let simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley if desired.