The crunchy texture of this traditional relish is a perfect complement to Boston Baked Beans.
- Yield: Makes 3 quarts
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2000
- 4 Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 small firm green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices, tied in cheesecloth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 cups cider vinegar
Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl. Add salt, and mix well. Add enough cold water to over vegetables, and set aside for 8 hours or overnight. Drain; rinse well underwater, and drain in a colander.
Whisk remaining ingredients in a large nonreactive stockpot until combined. Add 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add vegetables. Cook until warmed through, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a nonreactive container; set aside until cool. Cover; refrigerate up to 3 weeks.