Grilled Turkey Sandwich
Grilled fresh tomatoes, pungent basil, and nutty Parmesan make up this sophisticated turkey-paillard sandwich on a baguette.
- Servings: 6
Photography: David Sawyer
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2001
- 1/2 boneless turkey breast (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 recipe Basic Marinade
- 1 sweet onion, cut in 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 5 plum tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 25-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces Parmesan, sliced paper thin
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems discarded
Remove tenderloin from turkey; cut tender in half lengthwise. Cut breast into 1/2-inch-thick medallions. Cut open two sides of a resealable plastic bag. Place 1 medallion in bag; pound to 1/4-inch thickness with a meat pounder. Transfer to a nonmetal container. Repeat with remaining turkey. Add marinade. Chill for 2 hours.
Heat a grill or grill pan. Brush onion, tomatoes, and bread with oil. Season onion and tomatoes with salt and pepper. Grill onion until browned and soft, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate. Grill tomatoes without turning until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Grill bread until just toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove turkey from marinade; season with salt and pepper. Grill until browned and cooked through,1 to 2 minutes per side. Layer bread with onion, turkey, Parmesan, basil, tomatoes, and watercress; top with remaining bread. Serve.