Grilled Chicken and Onion Sandwich with Tomato Jam and Arugula
Tangy tomato jam and Vidalia onions add flavor to grilled chicken served on a baguette.
- Yield: Makes 3 six-inch sandwiches
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2000
- 1 half boneless skinless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 eighteen-inch-long baguette
- 1/2 cup Tomato Jam
- 1/2 bunch arugula (about 4 cups loosely packed)
Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Pound chicken between two sheets of plastic until 1/2 inch thick. Remove plastic. Sprinkle chicken generously with salt and pepper. Lightly oil grill or grill pan; cook chicken until lightly browned and cooked through, turning halfway through cooking time,10 to 15 minutes on a hot grill pan. (Time will vary depending on the grill.) Set aside.
Toss the onion with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and place on grill until lightly charred and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
Slice baguette lengthwise, and spread both sides with tomato jam. Slice chicken into 1/4-inch strips. Layer one side of baguette with chicken, reserved onions, and the arugula. Top with other side of bread, tomato jam facing down. Slice into three six-inch sandwiches.