Summer Vegetable Pot au Feu
This vegetable stew featuring baby squash makes a light and colorful summer meal.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2001
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pearl onions, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces round baby orange and yellow carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 4 ounces baby new potatoes
- 9 ounces assorted baby summer squashes, cut in half
- 1 ounce young sugar snap peas, stem ends trimmed
- 1 ounce fresh or frozen lima beans, shelled
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until golden. Add the white wine; cook until most of it has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, stock, and 3/4 cup water; simmer 5 minutes. Add potatoes; simmer 7 minutes. Add squash; cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add peas and lima beans, and cook 2 minutes.
Remove the skillet from heat; remove and discard the herb sprigs. Divide the vegetables and broth among four shallow bowls, and serve.