Bluefin Tuna with Olive, Cucumber, and Cilantro Relish
This recipe, courtesy of Lost Kitchen chef and owner Erin French, also works very well with salmon or swordfish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 2016
- 3 Kirby cucumbers
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed olives, cut into a 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 tuna steaks, each 1 inch thick (about 3 pounds total)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Using a vegetable peeler, remove half of cucumber peels in alternate strips. Halve cucumbers lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds, then cut cucumbers into a 1/4-inch dice. In a small bowl, combine cucumbers, olives, and cilantro. Add lemon juice and 1/4 cup oil; season with salt and pepper.
Season tuna with salt and pepper. Heat a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high. Add 2 tablespoons oil; when it begins to shimmer, add 3 tuna steaks. Sear 1 minute, then flip and cook 30 seconds more. Add 2 tablespoons butter, swirl to melt, and cook 10 seconds more. Transfer fish to a platter, tenting with foil to keep warm. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 3 tuna steaks, and 2 tablespoons butter. Serve tuna topped with relish, with lemon wedges and more relish alongside.