Mashed Roasted Butternut Squash
Serve this comforting side dish with our Cider-Braised Pork Loin.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2000
- 2 small butternut squash (3 to 4 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock, preferably homemade, plus more if needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut each squash in half the long way. Place cut sides down on baking sheet; roast until very tender, about 45 minutes. When just cool enough to handle, scoop out seeds. Spoon squash from tough skin into a bowl.
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with ginger; add squash. Add stock; using a fork, mash squash to a puree. Add more stock as needed to adjust consistency. Season with salt and pepper, and serve warm.