Summer Waldorf with Yogurt-Tarragon Dressing
Juicy plums and toasted almonds replace apples and walnuts in this light summertime take on the classic.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August July/August 2016
- 1 small head fennel, bulb thinly sliced, fronds picked, stalks reserved
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken-breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 2 heads butter lettuce, such as Bibb, leaves separated
- 3 plums, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
Bring 2 inches of water to a boil with fennel stalks in a large saucepan. Add chicken and 3 tablespoons salt (if chicken is not fully submerged, add water to cover). Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until a thermometer inserted into thickest parts of chicken registers 165 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let cool 10 minutes.
Whisk together yogurt, oil, and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Remove chicken skin, then remove meat from bones and thinly slice against the grain. Divide lettuce, chicken, sliced fennel, and plums among 4 plates. Top with dressing, almonds, and fennel fronds; season with salt and pepper and serve.