Grilled Vegetables with Herb Vinaigrette
These simply prepared vegetables need no more than an herb-and-caper vinaigrette.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2004
- 4 medium red beets (about 1 pound without greens), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/3 cup best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 5 Italian or Asian eggplants, halved lengthwise or cut into thirds if large
- 6 baby zucchini and yellow summer squash (each about 6 inches long), some with blossoms attached (optional), halved lengthwise
- 3 yellow bell peppers, sides cut off to yield about 12 slices total
- 1 pound assorted radicchio, such as Verona and Treviso, heads halved lengthwise or quartered if large
- Herb Vinaigrette
Heat a grill or grill pan until medium-hot. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add beets; boil until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; pat dry with paper towels.
Toss beets with 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl; season with salt, and set aside. Toss eggplants, zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, and radicchio with remaining 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon oil in a large bowl; season with salt.
Grill all vegetables, turning once, until tender and golden brown, 4 to 8 minutes (cooking time will vary among vegetables). Arrange vegetables on a large platter. Serve warm or at room temperature; just before serving, spoon vinaigrette on top, and gently toss.