Sesame-Soy Cashews with Wasabi Peas and Nori
The wasabi peas give this nut mix some added heat.
- Yield: Makes about 8 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2003
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups roasted, unsalted cashews (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 sheet toasted nori
- 2 cups wasabi peas (about 1/2 pound)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, sake, sesame oil, and fresh and ground ginger. Add cashews and sesame seeds, and toss until well coated.
Spread out nut mixture evenly on two baking sheets lined with Silpat baking mats. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until glaze turns golden brown and is almost dry, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool about 20 minutes.
Break nut mixture into clusters, and place in a large bowl. Using kitchen scissors, cut nori into 3/4-inch-wide strips; add to bowl along with wasabi peas.