Polish Tea Cookies
These jam-filled treats are a close cousin to thumbprint cookies.
- Yield: Makes about 2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, Winter 1990
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- Extra granulated sugar, for rolling
- 1 egg white
- Jam, for filling
Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat well. Add the flour; beat again.
Chill dough for several hours.
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar. Form dough into small balls and dip in lightly beaten egg white, then in almond-and-sugar mixture. Press center of each ball with your thumb.
Bake for 5 minutes, then remove and push down centers again. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool slightly and fill centers with jam.