Mazurka with Apricot Topping
These Polish bar cookies are traditionally made on Christmas Eve.
- Yield: Makes 3 dozen wedges
Source: Martha Stewart Living, Winter 1990
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- Zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter until fluffy. Sift together flour, sugar, and salt and add to butter, alternating with the egg yolks. Beat until well mixed. Carefully stir in almonds and citrus zest.
Pat dough into two 10-inch buttered and parchment-lined cake pans.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
For the Apricot Topping: Heat jam gently. Add liqueur. Strain warm glaze through a fine sieve and spread atop cooked mazurka.