Zahtar Chicken Kabobs with Grape-Leaf-Wrapped Tomatoes and Grilled Apricots
Serve these healthy kabobs with grilled pita slices and yogurt dip.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1997
- 1 five-ounce onion, peeled
- 16 ounces (2 cups) nonfat yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Zahtar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 1/4 pounds skinned and boned chicken-breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 36 cherry tomatoes, yellow and red if available
- 18 grape leaves packed in brine, rinsed, and patted dry
- 36 dried apricots
- Olive-oil cooking spray
Grate onion on large holes of a box grater. Combine with yogurt, garlic, cumin, zahtar, and oregano. Add chicken; combine. Cover with plastic; marinate 1 hour in refrigerator.
Sprinkle tomatoes with zahtar. Wrap each with half a grape leaf; secure by slipping onto skewer. Place six on each skewer.
Spray grill pan with cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade; arrange six pieces on each skewer; do not pat off marinade. Discard remaining marinade. Sprinkle chicken with zahtar. Grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Grill wrapped tomatoes, 2 to 4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Place apricots on skewers, lightly spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with zahtar. Grill 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until warm and tender. Serve with Healthy Tzatziki.